Impact on Learners
• A number of observable impacts on learning have become apparent
throughout the prototyping period. Some of the most powerful effects
• Students are engaged in the process of research, experiment design &
data collection. It was compelling to see students with a broad range of
academic levels engage in their work with little prompting or external
motivation from me.
•The student learning, in some cases, is moving beyond my
understanding and knowledge level of their topics - which is what I
hope would happen for all my students.
• Students are seeking advice from family members, siblings, and other
faculty members to develop the understandings necessary to carry out
• The perseverance and resourcefulness demonstrated by the students
involved were substantial. The role of failure in individual projects
became opportunities for learning and growth. It was pleasing to see
students fail, then rethink or redesign and have success.
• The process of tuning the projects using a tuning protocol had positive
outcomes. It forced students to clarify their thinking and processes to
be able to explain and justify their ideas to their peers.
• The feedback gathered during the project tuning protocol led to clearer,
deeper thinking and inquiry and improved student projects.
Throughout running the club prototype, several things have become
apparent and will be modified and changed moving into the next academic