Attachment 2: SML One Pager
What is SML?
The Self-Motivated Learning Project allows students to learn in depth a
topic of their choice. This gives students a chance to explore a curiosity or
further develop a passion. We dedicate one lesson, out of a 6-day cycle to
support students in this learning.
Part of our SLR’s:
• Self-Motivated Learning - persistence, engagement, risk-taking,
exploring, metacognition, (pg 9 Shared Philosophy)
Part of our Strategic Plan:
• Creativity: Each student will be an imaginative thinker, exploring
passions and challenges using novel and innovative strategies.
• Resilience: Each student will show courage and confidence in response
to challenges using novel and innovative strategies.
Part of the HKIS Core Values State:
• Lifelong learning is vital for individuals to thrive in and contribute to a
• Society progresses when individuals strive for excellence and
Common Agreements for SML 2016
1. All G7 and G8 Academic Teams will participate.
2. Students will be divided across Academic Teams.
3. Students will be divided by topics and assigned to teachers with an
interest/expertise in that topic.
4. The project will take place over 10-12 sessions alternating between
Day 5 and Day 6.
5. Students will choose a topic that can be sustained/extended over the
duration of the project time (if they can finish in one session, or get